Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Eclectic Thoughts

Divorce which was once considered only under the direst of circumstances in now only too common in America. More than half of all those who marry in this day and age will most likely divorce. The reasons vary from trivial to extreme. When people get married they often cite love for the reason of the union. I wonder how many of those people actually know what love is. What does love look like to them. Have you ever overheard young men or women talk about "love," or their ideal mate? I have more than a few times, and their version of love is so often superficial or based on fantasy. Love does not look like the "Twilight Series," or "The real world." As we as a society move further and further from God and biblical truths we fail in more areas as a whole. 1 Corinthians 13:4 out of the NIV says that, " Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud." Love is a sacrifice. Love is putting a person before yourself. Love is standing beside a person even when it isn't convenient or you don't really like them that day. It is forgiving and moving on. The ultimate picture of love is a sinless Christ on the cross for a world of ungrateful sinners, myself included. I find the picture of our society sad today. There are so many people who don't really understand what love actually looks like. I understand what it looks like and I still manage to mess it up fairly often. 1 Corinthians goes into great detail about what it does and does not look like, and I find myself every so often repeating the verses to myself when I have acted or spoken in a unloving way towards someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment